Wednesday, May 27, 2009

MRI's suck, really.

I think whoever invented MRIs was a sadist. Seriously.

Ok, so I went today for my scan. S wanted to go and take R because she wanted out of the house. I told her that watching a baby in a waiting room isn't much fun, but she insisted! R loves his sisters all SO very much. It makes my heart sing to see them as little surrogate mommies to him. It gives me peace of mind to know that if I run errands or have to go out that they take care of him just like I would.

My MRI was scheduled in early evening, so no one was around. I go back and the techy starts hooking me up and asking me which arm I wanted my IV/dye to go in. Really, dude...I have like a dozen kids. I have been poked from top to bottom...just pick somewhere and run with it!

And let me say this: I was scared crapless for the dye. My body chemistry is so much like my mom's was. She once twisted her ankle and they did the dye (old school in the 80s) and she was allergic to it. She had a seizure and ended up breaking her back in a couple places. Eek. I told the techy dude and he wasn't too thrilled with that but assured me that the dye has come a long way since then. Luckily, the dye was uneventful. LOL

Music. You now get music via headphones. He asks me what genre I would like and I just said rock. He asks me light or heavy. Heavy. Now, what a horrible choice that was! Let me explain. I love me some heavy rock, I really do. What you do NOT want, however, is to be trapped inside a coffin with speed metal playing loudly in your ears. It doesn't calm you down! LOL It is actually rather disturbing!!

Ok, and now the coffin part. I am usually not a claustrophobic person, but that machine is ridiculous!! Closing your eyes doesn't help. Nope, not one little bit. And then they keep asking you to take deep breaths and hold them. Yeah, because when you are freaking out that you might be being buried alive, you should hold your breath! And when they tell you they are going to really push the dye and not to freak out, not helpful. Really, don't warn me. Feeling that crap moving across your body is a lot like feeling a snake crawling underneath your skin. Ugh. And plus, you can taste it. Metal cravings anyone?

Next week is my upper G.I. scope. Should be fun.

And while I'm at it, can R please just walk already?! I know that kid is going to take off first thing when I leave to go to my class. I just know I'll miss it. :(

And last thing...it seems so many of my friends are so unhappy. If I could give them all one piece of advice, it would be so simple: If you want to be happy, be.

No comments: