Saturday, June 20, 2009

Hello from the Holy Land

Morning all!

For those that might not know, I'm sitting in the Holy Land in Tel Aviv. I arrived a few days ago and am finally becoming a bit settled. It isn't at all what I expected it to be. I'll explain that further.

I knew Tel Aviv was a coastal big city before I arrived. I think I expected something more like Cairo or something, which it is definitely NOT. There's not much to do here except beaches and night life. There's not many sites to see or places to really shop. When I got here, I realized that I brought the wrong adapter and that my cell phone was relocked from the states. (You must get your cell phone 'unlocked' to allow it to be used with foreign sim cards.) So, the first morning that I got here, I had to set out to find an adapter. I got lost as hell, wandered everywhere, and no one seemed to know what the hell I was asking for, in either language.

I finally found the adapter and then couldn't find my way back to the hostel!! I FINALLY got back and was burnt to a freaking crisp with massive (MASSIVE) blisters. I can barely walk. It is very painful!

So, let me tell you about Israelis and directions. Even if they do not know where the address or place is that you are asking for, the will still send you in some direction or another and you will end up going in circles. It sucks!!

I am looking forward to going to Jerusalem. I have to be there Tuesday or Wednesday to sign in. At least I will have a/c again! I've 'heard' a lot of people here say that I will like Jerusalem much much better. I even complained about Tel Aviv to another American friend of mine that spent the summer here last year. He told me he felt the same way and that Jerusalem will be much better. He arrives in a couple of weeks, so maybe I can get him to take me to the West Bank and visit the Palestinians. I have an affection for arab people and would love to go see them there. The concensus is that Jerusalem has boat loads more to do than Tel Aviv. I certainly hope so because this town doesn't hold a candle to Cairo. I really loved Cairo (even with all it's faults) and I felt genuinely at home there. It's very hard to explain, I guess.

The one thing that I was very very unprepared for was how much I would miss R. I had such a HORRIBLE time the first few days away from him. I very much regretted coming here and leaving him. I cried and cried and cried. He's doing very well at home and his sisters are being very good little mommies to him. My daughter said that he does wake up and wander the house looking for me though. :( That really breaks my heart. What if he doesn't know me when I return?? So many what if's...

1 comment:

Adria said...

We need an update!